4.22.2008

Make Every Day Earth Day~Plastic recycling


Happy Earth day! I have the fondest of memories of this day going back to highschool. I remember my senior year skipping school to go down town DC and join with thousands of others to celebrate the Earth, listen to music, wade in the nasty reflecting pool on the mall and walk around visiting various vendors selling and educating about "environmental" practices and products. We have come along way but somehow today just feels like any other day since I couldn't "Skip" work to celebrate. I do try to celebrate the earth everyday by doing the smallest of things including recycling, composting, buying local/organic, using florescent bulbs, not using chemical cleaners and gardening products, you get the picture. I have dreams of someday owning a house that I can convert to solar/alternative power, use FSC Certified wood and other recycled and "green" products but for now I do the little things I can. Recently I have been trying to incorporate recycled objects into my art projects. I've been wanting to try this plastic bag fusing project now for months so I finally sat down to cutting and fusing a bunch all at once with open windows and a good movie. I don't know yet what I will use these for, they have endless possibilites and it was so easy and fun (other than the fumes). Give it a try, there is a great tutorial over at Etsy Labs.

I hope you will do what you can to give back to our mother earth.
Please~"Make Every Day Earth Day".

No comments: